Monday, October 6, 2014

Short Scene from Love and Fandoms

Here is the first look inside Love and Fandoms, my YA Contemporary Romance. I'm shooting for a release date in late October, but I may hold out for the first week of November. Anyway, more on that later. For today, I'd like to present a scene that I always loved, from first draft through the revision and editing stage. You don't need any background from the story to enjoy this one - you'll be able to figure out enough about everything to (I'm hoping!) get a kick out of it. I will, as I said, have much more about this book soon, so for now enjoy this sneak peak!

SHORT EXCERPT FROM LOVE AND FANDOMS BY CJ ZANE

As they walked towards the car, Luci said, "There's that shopping center in Brea that has a Wal-Mart, Party City, and Michaels. If we can't find things there, we're out of luck."

"Uh-huh."

Luci waited until they were in the car before saying, "Spill it."

She considered denying anything was wrong, but Luci knew her too well. "Does everyone think I'm crazy for not sleeping with Alex?"

"You guys have fallen asleep in each others' arms more than once. I've seen it."

Mandy snorted. Luci always could make her laugh even when she didn't want to. "You know what I mean. Does everyone think I'm crazy for not sexing him up every chance we get?"

"Most people probably assume you do. You've been with him long enough. What did Allyssa say to you?"

"When she saw him without his shirt, she wondered how I ever let him leave the house."

Luci busted out laughing. "And I'm sure your parents and his would allow that. You have to keep your bedroom door open when he's there, don't you?"

"I know, right?" She didn't bother bringing up what she said about Wyatt.

"What do you care what she thinks? Honestly, I'm surprised you're even going to do it at prom. Up until last year, you were pretty adamant about waiting until marriage."

"Don't say anything, especially to Alex, but I'm thinking a night in a hotel room alone might be our couples Christmas gift."

"Oh, good, because nothing says 'Happy Birthday, Jesus,' like going to a seedy motel to lose your virginity."

"Stop it. Maybe a couples Valentine's Day gift."

Luci didn't say anything, and Mandy wondered if the conversation was over. A minute or so later, though, she said, "Is Alex pressuring you?"

"No, not at all." This Alex, her Alex, wasn't, anyway. "I guess I'm just curious what it's like."

"You know I'm of no practical help there, but from what I've heard, if you rush it, even if you love him, it's not as good. I'm not saying don't spread 'em for Jesus or Cupid, but only if you're ready."

Mandy tried to hold back, but she physically couldn't. She howled with laughter right there in the passenger seat. The windows were up, the AC was cranked, and the radio belted out tunes, but she was sure everyone in the surrounding cars could hear her. Crude advice? Sure, but Luci was good at doling that out, and she was spot on. Mandy owed her bestie a big hug when they parked.


No comments:

Post a Comment