Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Short Scene From Love and Fandoms

Here's another short scene from Love and Fandoms, my Contemporary Young Adult Romance novel. I'm on track to release it on Amazon for the Kindle the first week of November, and you'll be able to get it in paperback not long after. I released a scene a couple of weeks ago from Mandy's point of view (she's one of the two main characters in the novel, and you can read that scene here), so today I'm showing you a scene from Wyatt's point of view (he's the other main character). I hope you enjoy this peek inside the book!

SHORT EXCERPT FROM LOVE AND FANDOMS BY CJ ZANE

Wyatt and Kareem sat in the shade on a planter near the math building. It had been their lunch spot since freshman year, so there was no need to change it up now, even if it was on the opposite side of campus from Pop Culture after lunch. Most people ate closer to the middle of campus, meaning this area, more on the fringe, was sparsely populated, exactly as they preferred. It made for quiet study times when they wanted, like today. Both had their noses buried in their Physics texts while they ate.

"I'm impressed you two aren't getting drips and crumbs all over the books." They looked up and saw Allyssa standing in front of them. "Especially if that's your famous peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich, Wyatt."

"No, not today. It's PB&J. But if it was the PBB&H, it still wouldn't drip. The secret's in the construction."

"You'll have to show me your secret sometime," she said, throwing him a wink. "Every time I make one, it's delicious but messy."

His breathing went a little bit shallow with her wink, but he quickly caught himself and said, "Yeah, I'll, uh, yeah. Sometime."

She and Kareem shared a look that he mostly missed. Kareem then said, "If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting crumbs all over my book." He brushed a bunch to the ground. "But better the book than my shirt." It was a brown t-shirt with an outline of the ship, Serenity, from the cult TV show, Firefly.

"Yeah, that shirt sure is shiny, Captain." They all snickered. "Anyway, shouldn't you two be talking geek rather than acting nerd?"

"We act nerd now so we can geek later," Kareem said.

"We're fighting zombies in Call of Duty tonight," Wyatt elaborated.

"You could join us," Kareem said, "if you'd only picked the superior machine."

"I did. It's not my fault you two fell for the marketing hype."

Wyatt chuckled. It was an old argument he rarely joined in on. He saw the pros and cons of both consoles, and the tipping point for him in the decision was that Kareem wanted the Xbox 360 over the Playstation 3. They'd already talked about upgrading to the Xbox One soon.

"Anyway, I came over to see if you guys picked anything up at AD after I left."

"Nah," Kareem said. "We'll go back after school to grab the new books. Or at least I will. Some of us don't know how to collect anymore." He nudged Wyatt.

"I collect the ones that either may be worth something some day or that simply look cool. Otherwise it's better to get them digitally."

"Sacrilege, man. Sacrilege."

"I'm actually starting to see the wisdom in that myself," Allyssa said. "Most books won't be worth the room they take up. And I like the guided reading feature on ComiXology. I don't jump ahead that way. And I don't have to worry about ruining the pages when I read."

"It's not collecting."

"You see me buy books with bags and boards all the time," Wyatt said. "Just not most ongoing monthly and bi-monthlies."

"Still."

"Still nothing," Allyssa said. "You're just being stubborn." She bent down and patted Wyatt's knee. "Let me know if you see any gems. I probably won't get there until this weekend."

"Will do," he said around a lump forming in his throat.

"See you guys in class," she said, and wandered away, back, presumably, to wherever she normally spent lunch. They rarely moved from this spot, so he had no idea.

"She knows as well as we do what titles are coming out today," Kareem said. "Just like she knows the secret to your little sandwich."

"Some small presses might put something out that we aren't expecting. And don't diss the PBB&H. It takes a steady hand and a keen mind."

"Then how do you manage? If you don't know why she came over here, your mind isn't all that keen, my friend."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Okay, so that was a lie, but he wasn't going to admit it.

"You say six simple, one-syllable words to her, and you got yourself a girlfriend. Will. You. Go. Out. With. Me." He punctuated each word by holding up a finger to count them. Once he used all five on his right hand, he held up the middle finger on his left.

A comeback didn't strike Wyatt right away, so he shook his head.

Kareem picked his Physics text back up. "Pathetic, bro. Pathetic. At least finish your reading so we can blast zombies tonight."

"Blast you tonight."

"Oh, just say the word, and I'll deathmatch you. Then you won't have a girlfriend or your dignity."

He picked up his own Physics book, but couldn't help chuckling, which got Kareem laughing. Anyone passing by would probably think they were having too much fun reading their textbooks. No wonder they had the reputation for being huge geeks and nerds.


No comments:

Post a Comment